Thursday, March 01, 2007

Comics

Originally I was writing this as a best of review for 2006. Well I don't think that really applies anymore. Still I'm going to bore you all now with my comic recommendations. I'd be recommending these anyways but at any rate, enjoy?

Best Series:

1. Fables-By Bill Willingham

By far one of my favorites and quickly rising up my all time rank is Fables by Bill Willingham. It was nominated this past year at comic-con for an eisner, and won. Eisners are sorta the Oscars of comics. Stressing the stora here. In any case Fables is a well crafted bizarre tale. It encompasses all the old "Fable" characters such as the big bad wolf, snow white, etc and puts them into or rather exiles them into "our world". Now don't get the wrong impression here, its not a kids book. Though most people get that impression about comics these days but that's a digression for another time. Fables is well worth its purchase.

2. Invincible-by Robert Kirkman

This was a big year for Kirkman. His Walking Dead book is simply awesome, His run on Ultimate x-men is going good so far. Even though I haven't read it yet, I hear Battle Pope (yes you heard me) is an enjoyable (if not odd)read. However, hands down Invincible is by far his best work. I picked up the ultimate trades and I couldn't put them down. That rarely happens with me and trades. I always finish them, but never that quickly. It was a simple read mind you. Dad's a superhero from another world, son gets powers and has to grow up fast. However it is also a very and i stress the very entertaining read. I simply love this book and its a shame I have to pick it up in the trades.

3. Strangers In Paradise-By Terry Moore

I never thought id start a review off, with holy fuck shit! But holy fuck shit this stuff is good. Buy it! Buy it now! I had my apprehensions about it. However the Internet buzz was too much for me to overcome. This is one of the best non powered/indie books out there. In fact it might be my favorite. Terry Moore can draw better than most. Plus the way he crafts his story, consistently awesome. Sadly this series is ending forever. Yet that shouldn't stop you from buying the trades. I did it. So can you.

4. Queen and Country-By Greg Rucka.

Now I know some of you will love this trade, and some of you will absolutely hate it. If you're not a fan of gritty espionage, surrounded by well crafted storylines and characters, then this may not be for you. However, Rucka is one of my favorite personalities in the comic realm these days. His story telling is just solid. Queen and Country is some of his best work. There's really nothing more to say.




5.Daredevil-Ed Brubaker

Okay I know Daredevil is just a character. Its all just entertaining fiction. Yet why for the love of god cant this guy just catch a break. I feel bad for taking so much pleasure in seeing how much more twisted and horrific, Matt Murdoch's life will become. On the other hand I cant stop reading it. I was almost going to drop this title when I heard that Bendis was leaving. Brubaker's run however got me to love this character all over again. Daredevil may be my favorite superhero of 2006 which is saying a lot.


Events: DC VS Marvel

Civil war: I, like so many of us comic nerds and fanboys alike; had been psyched to see this come out. However in the past months and weeks as the storyline unfolded I became bitter and disappointed that there were too few highlights and not enough pay off. That's not to say its not good. It has its moments. It ended on a high note. However, then there was the delays. I think the 4 month delays were the straw that broke the camels back. Marvel really dropped the ball on this one.

52: Okay so I started out really liking 52, though not fully grasping what the hell was actually occurring in it. Not being a huge DC fan its hard for me to care about the minor character story lines, like booster gold. So I actually stoped reading about issue i dunno 10. Now I've gone back and reread all 42 issues thus far and the verdict is that 52 is outstanding. Not just good. Its hard to imagine that DC can pump out a comic once a week, without fail and without delays. Still have a great overall story arch. While marvel has continuous problems with crossover titles and release dates. 52 is making me see that Crossovers aren't necessary for big event issues. With 52 DC is slowly winning me over as a fan all over again.


Writers
1. Robert Kirkman
2. Bill Willingham
3. Grant Morrison
4. Darwyn Cooke
5. Joss Whedon

Artist
1. Darwyn Cooke
2. Mark Bagley
3. Terry Moore
4. Ryan Ottley
5. Alex Ross

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home