Monday, April 07, 2008

Black Mountain.

Okay. So this weekend was yet another concert to go to. It was a little band that surprisingly more people have heard of then I thought. They're a local Vancouver group called Black Mountain. And surprise surprise they're awesome!
Actually the whole night was a kind of surprise. The evening opened with some dude called Chad from Toronto. At least that's all i picked up from his ramblings. I don't know what his actual band or stage name was. Anyway he had a really good stage presence and voice. But his music was sooo not my music. Which kinda had me dreading how the rest of the night would go.
The following act was called Ladyhawk. Now this band was the real surprise. They actually blew me away. Mainly cause i wasn't expecting what i got out of their performance. See when I heard the name Ladyhawk for some reason my mind was drawn to alt country. Which is all well and good. I'll listen to Blue Rodeo from time to time. But i was not really in an alt country kinda mood. Thankfully what i got was a mix between early Modest Mouse and Cuff the Duke. Real high energy rock with great songs. Again great stage presence but they didn't play to the crowd enough. They just kinda played. And rocked. I advise you all to check em out.
Finally we come to Black Mountain. I've actually listened to their two albums a bit so i knew somewhat what i was getting into. However what I got was even better. They blew me away actually. Which is funny cause I'm not really into the whole progressive psychedelic hipster rock. But I was told by a friend to check them out and I kinda got hooked. Needless to say what i got out of the performance was much much more than whats delivered on the album. Black Mountain was much more intense live than i could have thought. That's not to say the albums aren't solid. They are. Its just to say I got much more that what I was expecting. Which made the night all that more enjoyable.
The only thing i didn't enjoy was going to this show by myself. Although all the drunk stoner dudes and dudettes did make it interesting. Seeing some guy get nailed with a lemon wedge for standing on a table was hilarious. To bad you all missed out on a great night and a great show.

Current Comic: Buffy season 8
Current Music: Ladyhawk-I dont always Know

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home