Saturday, May 19, 2007

Criminal.




I don't blog about comics enough on here (ha!). Oh sure, you guys know what I'm reading at this very moment in time. Yet rarely do you get to hear about what I have read in the past and have actually enjoyed. This all changes today. Try and contain your excitement.
As I looked to try to find the perfect thing to review, I found myself lost in an assortment of Marvel and DC history. Then I remembered who actually still reads this blog and choosing something from those two universes just didn't seem logical.
Still even all the "indie" comics that i could review, well I've already talked about them to death, so where does that leave me?
There's very few comics out there worthy of the fanboy hype. Certainly there are a lot of talented writers and artists. But are they really worth your time and money? Who to choose? Thankfully Ed Brubaker makes that choice easy for us. Ever since Brubaker, had taken over for Bendis on Daredevil I've been hooked on his writing. His style is very fluid and fits the Crime genre well. A lot of his work with DC and Marvel, have been seen with a detective backdrop; so its only fitting that Brubaker would give us the flip side of that element with Criminal.
Criminal Vol 1 "Coward" is not for the weak of heart. Its a dark read. How could it not be when its main characters are junkies, pimps and dirty cops? Yet amidst all the brutality of this world he's created there's a possibility for redemption. Where things are supposed to be black and white, Brubaker tints it with a shade of grey.
Criminal is a quick read, but an enjoyable one. You connect with the characters and their misguided motives. You begin to understand how they ended up in that world and why. A lot of that could be connected to the art.
Sean Phillips may not be the most polished veteran on the comic scene. I don't really know a lot of his work to be honest. Yet his style compliments Brubaker well. As many of you know I'm not really an art guy when it comes to comics. However Phillips does add to the story and helps bring you into the world in which they've created.
If you're the slightest bit interested in getting into comics but not necessarily superheros. Or if you have a interest in the crime genre. Or if you're simply looking for a good quick easy read, head down to your local comic shop and pick up Criminal you wont be disappointed. Trust me.

Current Comic: Mousegaurd-Petersen
Current Next Review: Mousegaurd
Current Music: Feist-My Moon My Man

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home